Blue Dyeing Museum
Charles Kluge founded a blue dyeing workshop in 1783 in Sárvár, then moved it to Pápa in 1786. The relocated, new factory was built in the late 18th century and got remodeled several times. Until 1956, seven generations of the Kluge family plied this craft.
The fabric preconditioning was carried out on the lower level, where they cooked and starched the linen, and then painted them in the tubs of the "küpaszoba". They were modeling on the first floor and drying on the upper level.
The museum opened in 1962, and got renovated in 1983 for the bicentennial anniversary of the workshop. The mission of the museum is the preservation of the traditions of the blue dyeing craft, and the exploration and conservation of material remains.
Since its renovation, the Blue Dyeing Museum has had three permanent exhibitions:
- The history of the 200-year old Kluge family and introduction of the technical aspects of blue dyeing
- The exhibition of the life-work of Irén Bódi, artist and academician
- Blue dyeing shops and craftsmen of Hungary
In the museum, tubs, mangle rollers and motifs are exhibited, and also the archives can be visited. Although work was suspended in 1956, the factory is still operational.
Souvenirs are available in the museum's gift shop.